top of page

VA OCONUS Connection

From the Director's Desk

March is Women History Month.  Through history, millions of women have served honorably in a variety of occupations in the U.S. military. They officially enlisted as early as 1917, but could not serve in front-line combat roles until 2013.  Fast forward to 2020. Women are the fastest-growing demographic in the military and Veteran populations.  Women Veterans continue to break barriers today using many of the skills and experiences from the military to achieve career success and support their communities.  For resources for women Veterans, click here.  Thank you for all women who are serving or did serve.

COVID-19 Updates

The Pittsburgh Regional Office, along with the BDD sites in Germany & Korea are currently closed to the public and will no longer accept walk-in claims assistance, scheduled appointments, counseling, or other in-person services.  For those individuals who require assistance from the BDD offices, you may contact the Landstuhl BDD office  or the Camp Humphrey’s BDD office via email.  Overseas Military Service Coordinators have returned to the US, with no replacements at this time, though they will continue to be available by email. This decision protects our older Veterans and those with underlying conditions as well as our employees.

Veterans can continue to get information about benefits or file a claim for benefits by visiting our website at Veterans with claims specific or other questions may request information via Inquiry Routing & Information System (IRIS) or telephone at 1-800-827-1000, or 412-395-6272 for Veterans outside the US.

VBA benefits and services provided to Veterans, families, and survivors will continue to be delivered throughout the duration of COVID-19 impacts.


  • Due to COVID-19, there are instances when claimants are asking to cancel or postpone scheduling their examination appointments because of social distancing practices. VA will not deny a claim solely for a failure to report for an exam at this time.

  • Veterans and Servicemembers who wish to reschedule an exam due to COVID-19 concerns should contact the exam vendor directly. Vendors will hold the exam request in their system and will reschedule appointments once it is safe to do so.

  • Please also notify VA either via phone (412-395-6272) or IRIS if you are unable to attend your examination at this time


  • Effective Monday, March 23, 2020, the Board is suspending all video and Central Office hearings through at least May 1, 2020. We understand that Veterans have been waiting for these hearings and we don't want to delay an longer than necessary. The Board will work with Veterans, VSOs, an representatives to provide virtual hearings where possible. 


  • VR&E counselors will be reaching out to establish a plan to maintain communication throughout this period and ensure there are no lapses in VR&E services or any negative impact on the processing of your claim.

  • Facilities Converting to Distance Learning Only  -   In an attempt to control the spread of COVID-19, many facilities are temporarily converting to distance learning only, meaning in-residence classes are transitioning to an on-line format for a period of time.   This change is not the result of a reclassification of the type of program, meaning the facilities are not officially reclassifying in-residence classes to on-line classes for VA purposes; Therefore, there is no need to request an updated certification for the current term as a result of this change.  Also, it is VR&E’s policy to pay the in-residence rate for a term that includes a combination of in-residence and on-line training. However, if this practice is still in place at the beginning of the facility’s next scheduled term, an updated certification must be sent to the facility to verify the classification of the type of program.  


  • Many schools are in the process of or have already moved from in-person courses to online courses in the interest of public health.

  • Student Veterans will continue to receive their GI Bill benefits under S.3503, which President Trump signed into law on March 21.  The law enables VA to continue providing the same level of education benefits to students having to take courses online due to the COVID-19 outbreak.   This law allows for continued payment of benefits, even if the program has changed from resident training to online training.  GI Bill students will continue to receive the same monthly housing allowance (MHA) payments they received for resident training until December 21, or until the school resumes in-person classes.

  • Students receiving GI Bill benefits are not required to take any action.  Benefits will continue automatically.   Updates will provided to students via direct email campaigns and social media regarding VA's effort to implement these new changes.

  • Specific questions should be referred to the Education Call Center (1-888-442-4551).


  • If you have a VBA benefit debt and are experiencing a financial hardship due to COVID-19 (such as a reduction in work hours, temporary layoff, or termination of vA education benefits), the DMC may be able to suspend collection until May 31, 2020.  This may apply to most cases, unless the debt is a separation pay overpayment or the account is under the collection jurisdiction of the Department of Treasury.  Please contact DMC at 800-827-0648 (7:30am - 7:00pm ET). 


  • All VA National Cemeteries are open and will continue to provide interments for Veterans and eligible individuals.

  • Starting March 23, 2020, committal services and the rendering of military funeral honors, whether by military personnel or volunteer organizations, will not be conducted until further notice at VA national cemeteries.  Immediate family members (no more than 10 individuals) of the deceased may choose to witness the internment, if desire.  There is no service involved with witnessing an internment.  Families will be able to view the internment from a safe distance.

  • The National Cemetery Scheduling office will continue to provide scheduling services for the duration of the current emergency.  To schedule a burial, please call 800-535-1117 (option 1).

Please continue to check for updates. You also may follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

COVID 19: Recommendations For Staying Healthy

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) considers COVID-19 to be a serious public health threat, but individual risk is dependent upon exposure. The new virus causes respiratory illness in humans, usually 2–14 days after exposure. Illnesses have ranged from mild symptoms to severe, including fever, cough, and shortness of breath. The virus is thought to spread mainly from close contact with an affected person. It spreads in the air, like flu, and through droplets from sneezes and coughs. The droplets can stay suspended in the air and can land on surfaces that are touched by others.

Take precautions to guard against infection

  • Get a flu shot

  • Keep your hands clean by washing with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or using a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol

  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth

  • Avoid people who are sick

  • Stay home and away from others when sick

  • Cover your coughs and sneezes with tissues or your arm/sleeve. Dispose of tissues in the trash.

  • Keep surfaces clean using disinfecting wipes

  • Check the CDC advisories prior to planning travel

  • Cover mouth and nose with tissue or sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.

  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.

  • Wash hands often with soapy water for at least 20 seconds.

  • Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.

  • Do not touch eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.

  • Avoid contact with those who are sick.

Military Sexual Trauma

Some Veterans suffered from a sexual trauma while serving in the military.  These incidents can have lasting effects for many years.  I encourage you to apply for compensation benefits for ongoing issues from this incident.   These claims are managed by MST Coordinators, who have specialized training to review the Veterans medical records, personnel file and claims documentation.  These employees can help you through the claims process. Our MST Coordinators are a passionate group of VA employees, who strive to expedite the claims process for our Veterans who have experienced MST.  For more resources, please visit

FAQ: What does VA do for w/PTSD Who Live Overseas & Received a Successful Claim for PTSD?

Once you are found to have a service-connected disability, there is a program called the Foreign Medical Program (FMP), designed for U.S. Veterans residing outside the U.S. Under FMP, VA assumes payment responsibility for certain services that are associated with service-connected conditions.   For more information (including contact information), please visit the FMP website.

To find a provider, you can contact the nearest U.S. Embassy and ask them for a list of providers who are available to treat service-connected conditions.  Sometimes this information is available on the website for American Civilian Services.

Foreign Medical Program

For eligible Veterans living or traveling abroad, VA offers medical services through the Foreign Medical Program (FMP). Through this program, FMP will pay for health care services, medications, and durable medical equipment associated with a service-connected condition and/or aggravated condition. VA may authorize foreign medical services for any condition if you are participating in the VA Vocational Rehabilitation Program (38 U.S.C. 31).

Benefits & Claims

Unlike typical health benefit/insurance plans, where the range of benefits is standard among all enrolled beneficiaries/subscribers, FMP benefits are limited to services that are medically necessary to treat a VA-rated, service-connected disability, or for a condition that is associated with and held to be aggravating a service-connected disability. Supporting medical documentation is always required.

To learn more about what services are covered under FMP, including detailed information about FMP benefits, how to submit claims, and required forms, visit FMP Benefits and Claims Information.

Veterans may use to submit applications and receipts for reimbursement:

Your local Veterans Service Organization representative at VA can help you with the registration process. FMP can also help with the registration process, verify your eligibility, authorize benefits, and process and pay FMP claims.

For more information, visit:

Veterans Service Organizations Abroad

Veterans Service Organizations were established to advocate on behalf of Veterans and provide Veteran-specific resources. Many are federally-chartered (officially recognized by Congress) and are mostly private, non-profit organizations run by volunteers. Some VSOs are "chartered", which means they are federally chartered and/or recognized or approved by the VA Secretary for purposes of preparation, presentation, and prosecution of claims under laws administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Inclusion of non-chartered organizations does not constitute or reflect VA recognition of said organization and its representatives for purposes of representation of VA claimants.

A Veterans Service Officer (also known as a VSO Representative) helps Veterans with the preparation, presentation, and prosecution of claims.  Once a claim is filed, they track the claim through the VA system, act as liaisons between the Veteran and the VA, and serve as the Veteran's official representative by acting as the Veteran's power of attorney (POA).   Giving a Veterans Service Officer the power of attorney allows an appointed VSO representative to initiate a claim to preserve an effective start date, gather required records and evidence of the veteran's behalf, and review the Veteran's application prior to submission.  A VSO serving as a Veteran's POA is also given 48 hours to review VA's decision to ensure it is correct before it is sent to the Veteran.

Please find telephone numbers below for the organizations co-located at the Pittsburgh RO, many of whom have experience working with Veterans residing abroad.  If you have questions, please feel free to contact one of these or one you have worked with in the past:

Additionally, the following VFW Representatives are located abroad:


Mark Kistner (DSO)    Attn: Dpt of Eur Service Officer        CMR 28810 Box 336R, APO AE 09624               Phone: 0160.938.83341        Email:

Eddie Guevara (ADSO)    

VFW Post 9342  Ansbach, Germany APO AE 09250               Email:


Ed Furnish (ADSO)                  Unit 3140 Box 49, APO AE 09630               Phone: 0160.938.83341        Phone: 011-39-389-16401               Phone: 011-39-049-9402752        Email:


Michael Verville Mailing address: VFW Department Service Officer  c/o Adjutant, Dept of Pacific Areas ATTN: DSO Post 2485, PSC 517, Box 4946, FPO AP 96517                                   Office Address: 381 Santol Rd Clarkview Sub, Angeles City, Pampanga 2009        Phone: 045-321-0084 Email:;

Admin Staff: Mitch Orbong -

For appointments call: +63 (045) 321.0084


Al Fitchett and Chris Bischoff, VFW Assistant DSO

VA Welcome Kit

Whether you’re just getting out of the service or you’ve been a civilian for years now, the VA Welcome Kit can help guide you to the benefits and services you’ve earned.

Based on where you are in life, your VA benefits and services can support you in different ways. Keep your welcome kit handy so you can turn to it throughout your life—like when it’s time to go to school, get a job, buy a house, get health care, retire, or make plans for your care as you age.

Feel free to share this guide with friends or family members who need help with their benefits too. Download your VA Welcome Kit and print out copies for yourself and others!

Veterans Crisis Line

Crisis feels different for everybody and can be caused by a wide range of situations before, during, or after military service.  The Military Crisis Line is staffed by caring, qualified responders from VA — some of whom have served in the military themselves.

Confidential support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year through the Military Crisis Line (1-800-273-8255 and Press 1), online chat and text (838255).

You can visit this link to see how Veterans, Service members or their loved ones can reach VCL from Europe, Korea and Afghanistan.

  • In Europe call 00800 1273 8255 or DSN 118 *

  • In Korea call 0808 555 118 or DSN 118

  • In Afghanistan call 00 1 800 273 8255 or DSN 111

* In Europe, toll-free service may not be available through all carriers or in all countries


What is eBenefits?

Enrolling in eBenefits is easy. Just visit for more information.

How to get an eBenefits account

If you don’t already have an eBenefits account, you can register on the DS Logon Registration page. Instead of using your APO address for registering on eBenefits, use your last recorded United States address.

For dependents of Veterans without a social security number, you must do the following:

Contact the Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC) at 1-800-538-9552.

  • Provide your dependent's Foreign ID number.

  • Obtain a generated social security number provided by DMDC.

  • Use the generated social security number for registration in eBenefits.

  • You can visit the eBenefits help page for assistance with registering for an account or you can call 1-800 372-7437.

Contact Information:  BDD Offices in

Germany & Korea

The Landstuhl, Germany office can be reached by e-mail at

The Camp Humphreys, South Korea office can be reached by email at or by telephone at DSN 757-2911 or 2912 or commercial 050-3357-2911 or 2912.

Help Us Spread the Word

Please encourage Veterans residing abroad with whom you come in contact to subscribe to “Veterans Abroad” to receive bulletins and information specific to Veterans residing abroad. 

Feedback Requested

We’d love to hear your feedback regarding the VA OCONUS Connection! Please take a few minutes to provide your feedback.

60 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page