Re: Official Communication 23-15
Subj: VA Notice of Funding Opportunity for Legal Services
"We would like to inform you that, later today, VA will announce it is publishing a Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) for over $11 million in legal services grants for Veterans experiencing or at risk of homelessness."
The funds, made available through VA’s new Legal Services for Veterans Grant Program, will help Veterans in several ways, including:
· Providing representation in landlord-tenant disputes to prevent eviction.
· Assisting with court proceedings for child support, custody, or estate planning.
· Helping Veterans obtain mainstream benefits like disability compensation.
· Defending Veterans in criminal cases that can prolong or increase their risk of homelessness, such as outstanding warrants, fines and driver’s license revocation.
· Upgrading characterization of discharges or dismissals of former members of the Armed Forces.
The NOFO provides information about the grant program eligibility and award process. VA will host a technical assistance webinar for grant applicants in October 2022. Applications must be submitted by December 30, 2022.
Please spread the word to your members. Thanks.
VC, District 5, DOF